April 18, 2016 - Terumo Corporation (Head Office: Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan; President and CEO: Yutaro Shintaku) announced today the creation in April 2016 of the Terumo Fellow Program. The program is set up to recognize and appoint as "Terumo Fellows", associates with expertise and experience in their fields, and who have made outstanding contributions leading to innovation in medical settings and technology, research, and clinical development.
Four individuals have been appointed as the first Terumo Fellows.
Terumo has established its Global Vision as "Innovating at the Speed of Life," with the aim of achieving further innovation for the benefit of medical professionals and the lives of patients. Terumo will continue to pursue research and development that will produce innovation that benefits healthcare throughout the world.
Vice President, CV Division R&D, Cardiac and Vascular Company, Terumo Corporation
- Developed and commercialized oxygenator and related devices for use in cardiac surgery
- Developed endoscopic blood vessel harvesting devices
Chief Researcher, TIS Division R&D, Cardiac and Vascular Company, Terumo Corporation
- Developed the first intravascular coronary ultrasound diagnosis device produced in Japan
- Developed sensors, catheters, and materials for use with intravascular coronary ultrasound diagnosis
Director of Engineering, Terumo BCT, Inc.
- Developed a centrifugal method for the removal of contaminations leukocytes from platelets as they are being harvested for transfusion.
Dragica Paunovic, M.D.
Chief Medical Officer, Vice president Clinical, Terumo EMEA
- Led the global deployment of medical device technologies developed in Japan, especially by initiating and conducting early and late stage clinical trials in Europe and other continents.
- Enabled global deployment of interventional systems products including drug-eluting stents and OFDI (Optical Frequency Domain Imaging) instruments, and many others.
Terumo (TSE: 4543) is a global leader in medical technology and has been committed to “Contributing to Society through Healthcare” for 100 years. Based in Tokyo and operating globally, Terumo employs more than 28,000 associates worldwide to provide innovative medical solutions in more than 160 countries and regions. The company started as a Japanese thermometer manufacturer, and has been supporting healthcare ever since. Now, its extensive business portfolio ranges from vascular intervention and cardio-surgical solutions, blood transfusion and cell therapy technology, to medical products essential for daily clinical practice such as transfusion systems, diabetes care, and peritoneal dialysis treatments. Terumo will further strive to be of value to patients, medical professionals, and society at large.